What is VoIP?
Voice over IP (VoIP) is a methodology and group of technologies used for delivering communication and multimedia over Internet Protocol (IP) networks, such as the Internet. IP telephony, Internet telephony, broadband telephony, and broadband phone services are similar services under VoIP. The VoIP services can be availed and can recieve calls using VoIP instead of your local telephone company. Communication is via data transfer, packet data transfer using Internet.
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of VoIP?
Advantages of VoIP
- The main advantage of VoIP is the cost efficiency. Unlike the local telephone networks VoIP is cheap and are free in most of the local calls. They are much cheaper for international and national calls too compared to that of the local telephone network.
- Some VoIP service are completely free, Skype for instance. But these services remain free only when it is PC-PC using their software. But the PC to Phone communication services are paid.
- VoIP gives you other service that are not given by the local telephone services. Custom phone numbers and changing country codes are few of the features that local telephone companies offer.
- VoIP is coming out with a bundle of other features too. That includes Conference calls. Video calls etc. In the other hand, telephone companies charges extra for these services.
- Even if you already have a regular phone line, VoIP is a supreme low cost interchange to grow an tallying phone line further more supplementary features and low long make cold and international rates.
- Mobility and portability is one of the important feature of this service. There are no limits as long as you have an internet/broadband connection in your phone.
- Even if you are traveling VoIP can be used in all locals with the same pricing unlike the telephone service calling in for additional charges like roaming and international service charges.
Just like all the advantages mentioned here there are some disadvantages for VoIP too. Here is the list of the disadvantages of VoIP.
Disadvantages of VoIP
- During a case of power failure or a intern connection issue, communication is impossible. A back up connection and a secure internet is mandatory.
- Emergency services like 911 are not registered on VoIP services. There is no stable help line connection planned on VoIP services.
- Quality of the call is effected by the speed of the broadband. This is not a factor for telephone. The quality also depends on the software and hardware
Read more: Disadvantages
The need of advanced internet securities has increased. Though there is many other providers providing VoIP services, Skype is standing on top.